Every 60 Seconds, a Hit-and-Run Accident Occurs in the U.S.
January 18th, 2019 by Wapner Newman
It’s bad enough if your vehicle is struck by another or if you’re a pedestrian hit by a vehicle. What makes the situation that much more frustrating is when the responsible party leaves the scene. This situation is becoming more common throughout the country, according to research by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, and it’s especially a problem in Philadelphia.
On average, there is more than one hit and run crash every minute on U.S. roads, according to the American Automobile Association (AAA). They caused 2,049 d eaths in 2016, the highest number recorded, a 60% increase since 2009.
AAA researchers found that …
- About 682,000 hit-and-run accidents have happened annually since 2006.
- Nearly 65% of those killed in these accidents were pedestrians or bicyclists.
- Hit-and-run fatalities have increased an average of 7.2% annually since 2009.
Over the past ten years, nearly 20% of pedestrian deaths were caused in hit-and-run crashes, while only 1% of all driver fatalities happened in such accidents. Every state has laws making it illegal (with narrow exceptions) for a driver involved in a crash to flee the scene.
The problem of hit-and-run accidents should come as no surprise to anyone living in the Philadelphia area. According to CBS Philly, city police have multiple ongoing investigations concerning recent hit-and-run crashes involving fatalities and serious injuries.
- A man was struck and killed by two vehicles on December 1 in the Rhawnhurst section of the city. The driver of one vehicle contacted police after seeing news coverage of the incident. No charges have been filed yet. Police are looking for the other driver.
- At 21st and Market Streets, a pedestrian crossing the road was struck by a vehicle making a left turn on November 10. The victim sustained a serious head injury, is recovering and is expected to survive. Police haven’t made an arrest in this case.
- A day earlier, a man was struck and killed by two vehicles at Cottman and Torresdale Avenues in Tacony. One vehicle was recovered by police; the driver turned himself in and provided information. Charges are pending against this individual. The other driver hasn’t been found or charged.
As of mid-December, a dozen people were killed in Philadelphia in 2018 in hit-and-run accidents, according to KYW.
You can protect yourself and your family financially from a hit-and-run driver by purchasing as much underinsured or uninsured motorist auto insurance coverage as you can afford. In case of a hit-and-run, you could file a claim against your own carrier since there is no other driver to make an insurance or legal claim against.
If you are suffering injuries because of a hit-and-run accident, Wapner Newman can help. We have handled many of these cases before and know the frustration you’re feeling; but even in cases where the identity of the responsible party is unknown, you still may be able to obtain compensation for the injuries you’ve suffered.
Have you been injured in a vehicle accident caused by a hit-and-run driver? Talk to a knowledgeable lawyer at Wapner Newman in Philadelphia so we can talk about your situation, applicable laws and how to protect your legal rights to compensation. Your initial consultation will be free.