Burn Injury Statistics
Burn injuries can be particularly devastating injuries. Beyond pain and suffering, serious burns often cause disfigurement. Quality of life issues may also be the end result of serious burn injuries. When the burn injury is the result of another party’s negligence, you may be able to seek compensation. In the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and New Jersey area, the law firm of Wapner Newman Wigrizer Brecher & Miller has the experience to get you compensation for you injury.
According to the American Burn Injury Associations 2011 fact sheet:
- 450,000 burn injuries require medical treatment every year. This includes treatment in emergency rooms, free-standing urgent care centers, and physician offices
- 3,500 people die from fire and burn injuries every year. 3,000 of these deaths are from residential fires, 500 occur from electrical, chemical, or other heat sources. 75 percent of these deaths occur on the scene of the accident or during transport
- 45,000 people are hospitalized for burn injuries every year. 55 percent of these (25,000) are admitted to hospitals with specialized burn centers
- The initial medical costs from hospitalization alone can exceed $200,000
- The survival rate of patients admitted to burn centers in 96.1 percent
The top causes of burn injuries that required hospitalization or admission to a burn center in 2011 were:
- 44 percent fire or flame
- 33 percent scalds
- 9 percent direct contact
- 4 percent electrical
- 3 percent chemical
The most common places burn injuries occurred in 2011 were:
- 68 percent at home
- 10 percent on the job
- 7 percent on streets or highways
Know Your Rights
When you are injured or a loved one is killed by burn injury, you may have a right to compensation for all of your damages. The Pennsylvania and New Jersey burn injury attorneys at Wapner, Newman, Wigrizer, Brecher & Miller are prepared to investigate the cause of your injury, identify the liable party or parties, and fight to get you maximum compensation.
Burn injury statistics help illustrate how large of an issue these injuries are, but you are not a number. Your personal pain, suffering, and financial damages must be taken into account by an experienced burn injury attorney who can fight to get you every penny you deserve.